Student Health Matters app
Launch at the Irish Student Health Association Conference in Dublin, 28 Feb 2020
The FREE Student Health Matters provides useful and reliable health information for students in Ireland to help protect their health, safety and wellbeing. It can be customised for colleges and university to signpost local services.
Co-created as an 'own-brand' app with the Irish Student Health Association, the app helps students avoid frustrating, unreliable and potentially unsafe online searches.
How does the app benefit students?
Students looking for reliable health information can use the app to:
- reduce their physical and mental health worries
- feel more confident about looking after their health
- find support when they need it
The app contains links to reliable sources of further information specific to Ireland.
How does the app benefit colleges and universities?
Irish universities and colleges can use the app for free to:
- enable students to make informed choices about their physical and mental health
- encourage students to self-care when it's safe to do so
- help students navigate local support and choose services wisely
No sign-up required, and the app does not collect any personal user data (similar to an e-book).
Customise the app for your college or university
Irish colleges and universities can add customised, university-branded pages to the Student Health Matters app to signpost local services.
Work with us to create your personalised page - using your own text, images, videos and hyperlinks.
Here are screenshots from the pages for the Institute of Technology Carlow and Athlone Institute of Technology:
[maxbutton id="2" ]
What can students find on the app?
- Healthy living - including education and health promotion advice on healthy lifestyles, diet, nutrition, exercise, dangers of drugs, alcohol and smoking, and the importance of vaccination and screening
- Health A-Z - links to the HSE database of over 600 medical conditions and treatments
- General health advice - how to spot and manage common physical and mental health problems, including stress, anxiety and depression
- Key information - on sexual health, contraceptive options, consent and pregnancy
- Self-care with confidence - how to look after your health, respond to emergencies and self-care for minor illnesses
- National and local support - useful info and links on where to get medical help and advice, all in one place
Listen to Dr Eoin McDonagh, GP and President of the Irish Student Health Association, talk about the Student Health Matters App on Flirt FM radio.
"Tailored specifically to the needs of third-level college students in Ireland and the Irish Student Health Association (ISHA), the app is a tremendous resource, and first of its kind for our student population."
Theresa Lowry Lehnen, Clinical Nurse Practitioner at the Institute of Technology Carlow and Assistant P.R.O. Irish Student Health Association
Project Lead and Lead Author 'Student Health Matters'.
Watch an 8-minute with video contributions from users and champions of of the app:
Get in touch
For further information or an informal chat to explore whether local customisation might benefit your college or university, please email Knut Schroeder (GP and Director, Expert Self Care) today - [email protected].