Past Student Intern Hannah Dudley with Expert Self Care founder Knut Schroeder
at the Annual UK Student Health Association Conference
Page Contents (quick links):
Who we are
Expert Self Care is a small, private, and independent company founded in 2012 by Dr Knut Schroeder, a UK GP with 30+ years of working in the NHS and Higher Education.
We've won two national awards - the British Medical Association Patient Information Award for wellbeing (distrACT app) and the Nursing Times Award for continence care (CONfidence app).
We want everyone to have easy access to trusted health information on their mobile phones - tailored to their needs and general circumstances - so they can live healthier, happier and more fulfilled lives.
To support under-served, high-priority groups with reliable health information apps and encourage better use of services.
What we do
We specialise in creating targeted free information and signposting apps that enable the NHS, universities, public bodies, charities, and other organisations to better support particular groups who frequently feel left out, including:
- People who self-harm and feel suicidal
- People with eating disorders
- Students with mental health issues
- International students
- Young Carers
- People with bladder and bowel leakage
- People with Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)
How we help you achieve your goals
The full versions of our apps are entirely free to use, with no in-app purchases or advertising.
We offer three distinct app services to suit your aims and budget:
- Provide established quality-assured apps (free). Offer instant access to context-specific health and life advice — without charge. Promote safe self-care and link to useful resources so people stay well and don't get to crisis point.
- Add local service info to existing apps (premium). Subscribe to customised (branded) homepages and service directories to inform people how best to navigate general and specific support in your area (or at your organisation) — for everyone's benefit.
- Commission your own-brand app (bespoke). Make custom-designed information highly accessible to your intended audiences and boost your visibility and reputation. We build your trusted new app, create (or adapt) your content, and manage the project — saving you time, effort and frustration.
Who we work with
We collaborate, not compete. We build strong relationships with like-minded, trustworthy partners and clients who want to do their best to improve people's health and encourage better use of services.
Our values and beliefs
We have a set of values to inform how we work with others and develop as a company:
- We want to make a positive impact. We want to leave the world in a better place than the one we were born into.
- We work together. We co-create our apps with experts by experience, users, health professionals, topic experts and trusted partner organisations.
- We are open and transparent. We want everyone to trust us as a provider, employer and partner.
- We treat everyone fairly. We treat people with kindness and free from favour toward either (or any) side, regardless of their background and other characteristics.
- We support your aims. We do our best to support you and your organisation. We have your best interests at heart and want you to be successful.
- We focus on quality. We want to create outstanding products and services that give you and others the best possible experience - and to keep improving them.
- We are responsive. We sort problems quickly and maintain a can-do attitude when looking for solutions.
- We keep learning. We are a learning organisation, keep up-to-date, and invite feedback from our users and those we work with to help us improve.
- We support growth. We believe in fostering a 'growth mindset' in our teams and anyone we work with.
- We want to achieve and maintain a good work-life balance. Work should be an enjoyable and integral part of our lives.
How we’re funded
Dr Knut Schroeder privately owns Expert Self Care. We're fully independent, don't have other shareholders, and stay clear of conflicts of interest.
We generate revenue as follows:
- Subscriptions: We offer optional subscriptions to local customised pages on some apps.
- Commissions: We create own-brand apps for selected organisations that share our values.
- Grants: We've accepted small grants from public or not-for-profit bodies to support some of our unfunded app projects (UWE Bristol, Bristol Urological Institute).
Our apps are entirely free-to-download and don't contain advertising or in-app purchases.
Corporate social responsibility
As a company and a team, we want to have a positive impact on all aspects of society, including public health, economic, social and environmental.
We want to work in ways that enhance society, protect our environment, and help to improve population and planetary health.
- We provide information. We want to support behaviour change and self-management, and reduce health service costs and resource use (Health Foundation, Helping people help themselves).
- We promote self-care. We enable people to look after their health better, for their own benefit and to save costs by reducing unnecessary and expensive interventions.
- We use ICT to work more effectively. We want to reduce our dependence on print materials.
- Promote better health. We provide information on how to lead happier and healthier lives, to shift the focus on preventing physical and mental health issues rather than treating them.
- We try to live by example. We avoid unnecessary carbon-emitting travel to help improve global environmental health and reduce emissions.
To learn more about how healthcare can become greener, read Sustainable Healthcare, co-written by Expert Self Care's founder Knut Schroeder.
Page last reviewed and updated in September 2023