Student Health App
As a university of college, you can now provide easy access to more than 900 pages of reliable health information all in one place with the free-to-download Student Health App.
The content has been created for university students by NHS doctors and experts in student health and is regularly updated.
Why should your students download the app?
Students looking for reliable health information and wanting to avoid frustrating and often unreliable online searches can use the app to:
- reduce their physical and mental health worries
- feel more confident about looking after their health and wellbeing
- find support when they need it at what can be a challenging time.
At a time when many university support teams stretched because of high demand, the app provides plenty of links to alternative services and gives students additional choice.
Enhancing university student support
Universities and colleges can enhance the support they provide simpy by recommending the Student Health App to their students - it's completely free to download:
- make targeted and supportive health information available at the touch of a button
- enable students to self-care when it's safe to do
- give students the knowledge and confidence to seek help when they need this
As an optional extra, the app can be customised for individual universities to signpost local sources of support in one single location (see below).
How does the app work?
The Student Health App offers plain-talking reassurance, information and advice on more than 125 topics relevant to students in areas ranging from first aid and mental health to staying safe at university and accessing health services:
- Mental health: Tackling stress, depression and anxiety and managing self-harm and suicidal thoughts
- First Aid & Emergencies: Covering everything from unconsciousness to asthma attacks, burns and head injury
- Alcohol & Drugs: Knowing the score on smoking, alcohol and common drugs - and how to manage a drug overdose
- Love and Relationships: Discovering what's to know about healthy relationships, abuse, contraception and sexually transmitted infections
- Healthy Living: How to stay healthy and well at uni - and how to keep active
- Safety: How to be safe on nights out, prevent accidents and avoid online dangers
- NHS: How to navigate NHS Services effectively
The app can be used offline, so the content is always available.
Is the app safe?
The app has also been independently reviewed and approved:
- Certified by the NHS England Information Standard
- Listed on the NHS Apps Library
- Reviewed and approved by the Organisation for the Review of Care and Health Applications (ORCHA) - read the review here
Universities wanting to provide extra value to students, staff and parents can have their own branded page on this app with links to local support services.
Current customers include:
- University College London
- University of the West of England
- University of Bristol
- University of St Andrews
- University of York
- Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford
"We recommend that higher education institutions advertise the ESC Student Health App and encourage its use."
(Higher Education Policy Institute Report 'The Invisible problem? Improving students' mental health', pages 9 and 46/47)
"There has never been a more crucial time for students to have access to reliable, safe, relevant health information. Students need to be able to access credible help fast. The Student Health App provides all of this, on a wide range of topics, from mental and sexual health through to emergencies and travel. They shouldn't leave home without it."
(Dr Dominique Thompson, National Student Health Expert)
"slick and professional"
"the appearance of the app is great and I like the tabs in the home page with all the topics"
"very clear and easy to understand"
"very well written and easy to use"
"I would recommend this to my friends. I think everyone should have access to quick medical info and this app helps with that!"
(from student user feedback)
To promote the use of the app at your college or university feel free to download the following resources:
- Poster/flyer - download jpg, 78KB
- Cut out cards - download jpg, 91 KB
- TV screen ad - download jpg, 977 KB
Where can I get the app?