Eating Disorder Support App
The Eating Disorder Support App enables people with disordered eating and eating disorders, and people close to them, to find useful information, self-care tips and links to support - all in one place.
Page Contents (quick links):
Why this app?
An estimated 1.25 million people in the UK have an eating disorder - and their number has risen sharply during the pandemic. Eating disorders have different causes and can lead to serious health problems - even death.
Early diagnosis and treatment improve outcomes, but long waiting lists for care and gaps in service provision mean that many people with eating disorders don’t get the help and support they so desperately need.
What the app does
The new Eating Disorder Support app makes reliable, evidence-informed information about eating disorders more easily accessible - in one place, even when offline - to:
- Educate people about eating disorders - and explain what to do next when concerned or in crisis
- Promote wellbeing and safe self-care - to help people prevent, address and solve eating problems
- Signpost services and support - to make people aware of useful resources and how to get help
Which areas does the app cover?
The app covers eight areas:
- About eating disorders - facts, feelings, signs
- At-risk - information for underserved, minority and high-priority groups
- Life - challenges, how to cope, practical tips, relationships
- Self-help - self-care, mind & body, how to manage eating disorder symptoms
- Treatment - early intervention, assessment, treatment teams, recovery and relapses
- Support - people, charities, support groups
- Calm zone - how to relax, have fun and learn
- Supporting others - information, tips for groups such as parents and teachers
"I wanted to let you know the eating disorder support app is so amazing. There is so much information, coping strategies, advice for tackling lots of situations and so much information in one place, and it’s so well presented and easily accessible. It has a wealth of information in one place that covers so many recovery tools, wellbeing tools, ideas for practical things to make and have to ride the wave, and also help for carers/ relatives. It’s clear a lot of thought and expertise has gone into it. I feel it’s unique and it is a one-stop-shop for so much information and support".
Eating Disorder Service User
"This app is extremely useful either as a person with an ED or for anyone wishing to learn how to best support someone with an ED. It is packed full of useful information, easy to navigate and accessible. As a teacher I would say it is an excellent resource for supporting young people and helping to identify early signs. So useful to have so much information all in one place."
Local information and customisation
The app currently offers local information for Bath, Bristol, North East Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire.
Other areas will also be able to add their own local information over time.
Who developed the app
The Eating Disorder Support App was developed in collaboration between the Bristol Health Partners Eating Disorders Health Information Team (EDHIT) and Expert Self Care, and co-produced with public contributors, topic experts, charities and other partners, including:
- Anorexia & Bulimia Care
- Buzz Consulting
- First Steps ED
- PANS PANDAS UK
- Somerset & Wessex Eating Disorder Association
The app bears the Patient Information Forum ‘PIF Tick’, the UK’s quality mark for reliable and trusted health information.
Where to download
Get in touch
For comments, feedback and queries about local customisation, please email email@example.com.