Student Health App
"There has never been a more crucial time for students to have access to reliable, safe, relevant health information. Student numbers are increasing, and demand for health advice and support is also rising. Students need to be able to access credible help fast. The student health app provides all of this, on a wide range of topics, from mental and sexual health through to emergencies and travel. They shouldn't leave home without it"
(Dr Dominique Thompson, National Student Health and Wellbeing Expert)
The FREE Student Health App (previously known as 'ESC Student') provides useful and reliable health information for students - all in one single place. We can also customise the app for universities to add links to local student health and wellbeing support.
Going to university can be a challenging time, and student mental health problems are on the rise. If you're a student with a physical or mental health problem and are not sure what to do next, simply open the app to:
- Reduce your worries - learn when it's safe to manage self-treatable health problems yourself
- Feel more confident - find out how to spot warning signs and know when to seek medical advice
- Know where to go - become more confident in navigating the NHS and get the support you need
Why google your symptoms and risk getting overly worried when all you need to know is only a few taps away - 24/7, even when offline.
"slick and professional"
"the appearance of the app is great and I like the tabs in the home page with all the topics"
"very clear and easy to understand"
"very well written and easy to use"
"I would recommend this to my friends. I think everyone should have access to quick medical info and this app helps with that!"
(student user feedback)
What difference will the app make to me as a student?
The Student Health App provides you with all the information you need to you look after your health and flourish at uni:
- Find reliable health info easily and know what action to take - within the privacy and anonymity of your mobile phone
- Get instant access to general health advice offline - useful on nights out, when travelling and when you've run out of data
- Know where to get support - get easy access to hundreds of useful links, local info, helplines and other useful resources
- Tackle health problems early - improve your wellbeing, avoid dropping grades and stay in your best shape
- Lead a healthier life - learn to deal with stress and know how to improve your mental health
Can I trust the app?
We've developed the Student Health App with our own children in mind and want you (and your university) to feel safe using and recommending it:
- created by experienced NHS doctors and evidence-informed
- NHS Information Standard certified
- regularly revised and updated
- developed with input from students and the doctors and nurses from the University of Bristol Students' Health Service
- endorsed and recommended by the UK Higher Education Policy Institute (see HEPI Report 88 'Improving Students' Mental Health, pages 9 and 46/47)
- rated 100% on 'value' and 0% on 'risk' in the 'Clinical Assurance and Efficacy' category by the Organisation for the Review of Health and Care Applications (ORCHA)
- currently undergoing assessment for inclusion in the NHS Apps Library
"We recommend that higher education institutions advertise the ESC Student app and encourage its use."
(Higher Education Policy Institute)
What can I find on the app?
With more than 900 pages and easily accessible information on over 125 physical and mental health topics the app is your one-stop guide to better student health:
- Emergencies – learn the truth about life-threatening illnesses, how to give first aid and when to call for an ambulance
- General ill health - tackle sleep problems, feeling stressed and constant tiredness
- Mental health – find out what to do when you feel stressed, low or anxious, or if you self-harm and may feel suicidal
- Common ailments and physical symptoms – get to the bottom of headaches, find out how to treat spots, and manage common aches and pains
- Love, sex and relationships - learn about effective contraception, healthy relationships and spotting abuse
- Alcohol & Drugs - recognise the dangers of substance misuse and addictions
- Healthy living - appreciate the importance of a healthy diet and staying physically fit
- Travel and fun - how how to stay safe and healthy on your travels
- Long-term conditions - learn to live with diabetes, asthma and epilepsy and know how to cope with variations in ability
- Safety - stay safe on campus, enjoy nights out, and be travel-smart
- Navigating health services – know when and how to access health professionals such as your pharmacist, nurse or doctor
- Useful links – get fast access to hundreds of links to useful and reliable sources of further information
We can customise the app for your university and add a branded page with links to your local support pages. Learn more here or email email@example.com for details.
Download the press release for the new Student Health App here (MS Word document): PRESS RELEASE - NEW Student Health App