Past Student Intern Hannah Dudley with Expert Self Care founder Knut Schroeder
at the Annual UK Student Health Association Conference
On This Page
What we do
Working directly with users, health experts and trustworthy partners, we co-create quality-assured and user-friendly mobile apps that make it easy for universities, NHS organisations and local authorities to:
- provide reliable health and wellbeing information - instantly accessible in one convenient place, even when offline
- promote safe self-care - and reduce avoidable demand on services
- signpost services - to help people find and access the right care
Who we work with
We work closely with our clients and partners to co-develop apps, share resources and support each other.
After seeing a book written by our Founder (Diagnosing Your Health Symptoms For Dummies), students asked if we could create an app for them to:
- make information easily accessible in one single location
- offer a better user experience than leaflets, a book or a website
- make searching for information safer and faster than googling
- offer information offline - for it to be at hand when out and about or in areas with limited cover
We liked the idea. We got down to work on the 'Student Health App' in 2012, which has become the go-to health information resource for students in the UK.
Fast forward, and we've now created 9 apps for different groups, from people who self-harm to young carers.
Our apps have been downloaded over 150,000 times and are used by partners and clients throughout the UK and Ireland.
What makes us unique
Founded by a GP with experience of working in higher education and the NHS, we're the first and only dedicated provider of health information apps in the UK.
We offer an all-in-one service and:
- have medical expertise in-house
- write, edit and update evidence-informed health information ourselves
- use robust and user-friendly app designs
Two of our apps are listed on the NHS Apps Library. One won the 2019 British Medical Association 'Patient Information Award' for wellbeing. We're also certified by the Patient Information Forum 'PIF Tick' - the UK's quality mark for health information.
We believe that everyone should have easy access to trusted health information on their mobile phones - tailored to their needs and general circumstances - so they can live healthier, happier and more fulfilled lives.
To support a growing number of underserved and high-priority groups with current and new health information apps.
We aim to:
- increase our support for provider organisations - to supply customised local pages on our apps to at least 30 universities, colleges, NHS providers and local councils in the UK by the end of 2022
- widen our user base - to serve over 200,000 app users by the end of 2022
- broaden our portfolio of apps - by creating at least one new app per year
We plan to continue to grow organically without the need for outside funding, and look to expand internationally.
Our values and beliefs
We have a set of values to inform how we work with others and develop as a company.
We focus on the things that are important to us, which means that we:
- work together - we co-create our apps together with users, topic experts and trusted partners
- are open and transparent - so you can trust us
- treat everyone fairly - regardless of their background
- support your aims - we do our best to support you and your organisation, and have your best interests at heart
- focus on quality - we strive to create outstanding products and services that give you and others the best possible experience
- respond - we focus on providing solutions, sort problems as quickly as we can, and have a can-do attitude
- keep learning - we invite feedback from our users and those we work with to help us improve
- support growth - we believe in fostering a 'growth mindset' in our teams
- achieve and maintain a good work-life balance - we want work to be an enjoyable and integral part of our lives
- want to make an impact - to leave the world in a better place than we were born into
How we're funded
Expert Self Care is privately owned by Dr Knut Schroeder. We're independent and don't have outside shareholders.
The full versions of our apps are entirely free to use, with no in-app purchases or advertising. Organisations can also use our apps for free to support their communities.
To generate revenue, we:
- offer subscriptions to customised pages on some of the apps
- create white-label apps for selected organisations that share our values
As a company and a team, we want to have a positive impact on all aspects of society, including public health, economic, social and environmental.
We want to work in ways that enhance society, protect our environment, and help to improve population and planetary health.
- provide information - to support behaviour change and self-management, and reduce health service costs and resource use (Health Foundation, Helping people help themselves)
- promote self-care - to enable people to look after their health better, for their own benefit and to save costs by reducing unnecessary and expensive interventions
- use ICT to work more effectively - and reduce dependence on print materials
- promote better health - by providing information on how to lead happier and healthier lives, to shift the focus on preventing physical and mental health issues rather than treating them
- try to live by example - and, for example, avoid unnecessary travel to help improve global environmental health and reduce carbon emissions
To learn more about how healthcare can become greener, read Sustainable Healthcare, co-written by Expert Self Care's founder Knut Schroeder.
Find out more
To learn more about us, please get in touch.