Student Health App - university customisation
Going to university can be a challenging time. With student mental health problems on the rise, many students - and university support services - are overwhelmed.
The Student Health App (previously known as 'ESC Student') aims to help by providing useful and reliable health information for your students. It's FREE for universities and students to use, and anyone can download it.
"There has never been a more crucial time for students to have access to reliable, safe, relevant health information. Student numbers are increasing, and demand for health advice and support is also rising. Students need to be able to access credible help fast. The student health app provides all of this, on a wide range of topics, from mental and sexual health through to festival health and travel. They shouldn't leave home without it"
(Dr Dominique Thompson, National Student Health and Wellbeing Expert)
As a university, you can now provide extra value for your students with a customised version of the Student Health App.
What does customisation mean?
We will create a branded tile for the homepage that leads to a page with links to your own support resources (see UCL example above) - all in one single place:
- LOCAL SUPPORT: get ahead of the game and make it really easy for your students to find local health and wellbeing support - particularly useful for newly arrived international students and in times of crisis
- DUTY OF CARE: show you care and demonstrate your commitment to supporting student health and wellbeing - even before your students arrive at university
- STUDENT EXPERIENCE: provide a personalised experience for your students - make your service provision more seamless and help your students flourish
- STREAMLINE INFORMATION: Provide consistency, fairness and inclusivity when it comes to health advice and support info - especially if you have separate campuses and your students spend time abroad
- BRAND AWARENESS: increase your institution's brand awareness and identity - among current and prospective students, as well as their parents and carers
"We recommend that higher education institutions advertise the ESC Student app [renamed to 'Student Health App' in 2018] and encourage its use."
(Higher Education Policy Institute, Report 88, Improving Students' Mental Health, p. 9 and 46/47)
How does customisation work?
- We have an initial chat about your needs
- You provide us with links to your choice of local support pages and an image file of your logo
- We create a new page for your institution on the app, which you can review and test before we release it
Once you've supplied us with the relevant information, we prepare your page for going live at an agreed launch date.
And don't worry, the app has been security tested, is fully insured and does not store any of your students' personal data.
Which universities do we already work with?
We currently provide customisation for:
- University College London
- University of Bristol
- Lady Margaret Hall, University of Oxford
- St Andrews University (contract signed, set-up in progress)
Is there a cost to customisation?
We charge a one-off set-up fee for customising the app based on the number of students at your university plus a yearly retainer and maintenance fee, so we can continue to provide the best possible products.
Any revenue generated will enable us to:
- make changes to your content free of charge - if any of your links or details change, just let us know and we'll make the necessary edits
- review and revise the health content - we're committed to keeping the app fresh, relevant and reliable
- make improvements - we invite user feedback and aim to make the app even better over time by adding new features
- maintain the app - we'll deal with soft- and hardware updates as required and perform regular app maintenance
- insure the app - so you and your students can feel safe and won't have to worry
If you fund your page through an alumni fund, private donations or sponsorship, you will be able to credit these on your customised page.