We believe the health sector needs support in helping young people look after their health
We know that teenagers and young adults who develop physical or mental health problems can sometimes find it hard to know what to do next.
It can be a real challenge for them to know whether it's safe to manage common health issues themselves (such as colds, tiredness or exam stress), what warning signs to look out for and how to navigate health services wisely
As a result, students may suffer avoidable poor physical or mental health, which apart from impacting on their general wellbeing, academic performance and ability to take part in learning activities may add to the burden of already stretched health services.
We need to give students easy access to reliable health information
To help students make sense of their symptoms and enable them to make informed decisions about their health, we believe it's really important that they have easy access to reliable, clear and relevant health information.
Young people also need to be aware of how to navigate health services and how to choose them wisely, including pharmacies, national helplines (e.g. NHS 111), online resources such as NHS Choices and GP surgeries.
In partnership with young people we've developed an easy-to-use smartphone app ('ESC Student') that enables students and young people to make informed decisions about their health 'on-the-go'.
The ESC Student app
- provides them with clear answers to important health questions - within seconds, on-the-go and discreetly, and without the need for an internet connection
- gives safe and reliable general health information and advice, because it's been produced by NHS doctors, together with students and topic experts
- supports students in taking sensible action when they have a health problem, so they know what to do next and where to go for further information.
We regularly review and update ESC Student to ensure students who downloaded it get up-to-date information and advice - at no extra cost.
Provide young people and students with reliable health and wellbeing support
The UK Higher Education Policy Institute says:
"We recommend that higher education institutions advertise the ESC Student app and encourage its use."
We're certified by the NHS England Information Standard as a producer of reliable health information and have undergone a rigorous assessment process to ensure that the information ESC Student provides is clear, accurate, evidence-based, up-to-date and easy to use.
Get in touch today
To learn more or to talk about how we can support health and social care providers in your area please call Dr Knut Schroeder on +44 117 9243965, email email@example.com, or use our web contact form.
Resources for downloading:
- Flyer for electronic distribution (PDF): email-flyer-esc-student
- Promo card (PDF for printing): esc-student-promo-card
- Info and images for your website (HTML): esc student web page
- TV Slide (JPG):